Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's getting suspenseful again - JCR Management (JCRM) dives into the Eclipse Legal Process

Eclipse needs every required dependency of a project to go through the Eclipse Legal Process. As JCRM requires a JCR server I have to get that server through this process. This means all server libraries and source code have to be submitted to the internal Eclipse IPZilla system as a Contribution Questionnaire (CQ). The Eclipse team will then check it's complete license pedigree and it's source code extensively. If something is wrong there I don't get the approval for the libraries and Eclipse JCRM probably failed. A way to work on JCRM licensing issues would be to try solving them together with the authors of the libraries but I don't think that this will work very well as they don't have a big reason to choose a more relaxed license. Regardless of wether it will be successful or not - the high bar of IP-cleanliness that Eclipse set will sure be quite some work for the Eclipse team and me. But there are some interesting aspects for me as I can learn more about licenses and in the end I think it gives the user a very good protection against licensing trouble.

No comments: